Wednesday, September 26, 2012

SPF BINGO

South Plains Fair Bingo

One of my family's biggest traditions since I can remember is to gather and
hit the annual South Plains Fair. By family, I mean my grandmother, aunts,
mother, cousins, and my twin brothers - no granddads, fathers, or uncles.  I
am sure this arrangement was fine with the men.  I still don't think my dad
has ever graced the cotton candy, lemonade and turkey leg-covered asphalt at
the South Plains fair grounds.

Most kids go to the fair to ride rides, see animals, and eat more junk food
than they are typically allowed.  And, while we all did plenty of that, we
were taught at a young age that most of our time and attention would be paid
to the Khiva Shriner Bingo Hall. I watched my elders play hours on end,
multiple cards at a time.  I was prolific in reading bingo color balls and
numbers by 4. Bingo cards cost a quarter each then. We would eagerly watch
as our parents earned chips with each win, knowing we would get to use them
to pick out prizes (only after each of the women had earned a canned ham
with their initial winnings).  I loooove those memories, and I'm fairly
certain that this is where my love of gambling was born...

By the time high school rolled around, I would go to the fair with friends.
They came to understand that our trip would include some games of bingo with
my mom and grandmother, and they knew that I would slap their face if they
said it was boring!  Many times I would walk by the hall to find my mom
chatting up one of the guys I liked and offering him a game of bingo on her.
By then, the Bingo winners won cold hard cash!  It was like Vegas for kids
but with more smoke and flies.  Inflation had driven the cost of bingo cards
to 5 for two dollars.  My grandmother usually played about 10 at a time.
Thanks to the new system and the friendly prices, I actually left the fair a
few times with my tummy full and money to burn due to my bingo fortunes.

Now that I have my own two kids to take to the fair, I have big shoes to
fill.  I would be lying if I said they didn't love to sit for an hour or two
and play.  They can't help it - it's genetically woven into the fiber of
their little beings. The problem is, now cards are 6 for five dollars.
Remember we are playing about 18 cards as a family per game...I don't have
that kind of money!!!  Luckily my grandmother does, and she still loves
nothing more than a good day of bingo at the fair. 

So, compliments of Mema, the tradition continues with her great
grandchildren.  Here's a photo of the clan on the opening Saturday.  The
bingo gods were smiling on Mema.  She's the only one who bingo'd the entire
day.

1 comment:

  1. Great Times. I haven't been to the South Plains Fair in over 10 years now. I'm glad ya'll had fun!

    ReplyDelete